Metz Mortuary grew out of the furniture and undertaking business started in York in 1891 by Charles Baer and Burnard King. In 1895, Mr. Baer took the furniture business and Mr. King kept the undertaking business. Albert A. Metz came to York in 1903 to work for Mr. King and purchased the business in 1904 along with Olin Hitchcock and the name was changed to Metz & Hitchcock. Mr. Metz purchased the Hitchcock interest in the business in 1928 and the name was changed back to just Metz Mortuary as it remains today. Mr. Metz died in 1950 and the ownership was purchased by Harold Beattie who had been with the firm since 1928. Howard Harris, who began working for Mr. Metz while attending York College bought the firm in 1966 along with Melvin Briney.